Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Kumquat preserves and acupuncture

Since my post of last week, Carl has been slightly freaked out that his fruit-selling pals suddenly disappeared from their regular spot. Today, it's exactly one week that they're absent and Carl is supine and recovering from chronic back pain. I'm not suggesting a connection but that is an interesting coincidence. To comfort him, Big Daughter suggested that perhaps the couple took a Spring trip to China. As I walked up the subway stairs this evening, at the Canal Street stop of the J train, the sidewalk looked empty without the fruit stand. I expected to see the fruit vendors momentarily, although I understand the irony of writing a post about them, and poof, they disappear. Life is like that. When you're not looking, time passes and things change. I'm surprised that it's April. Spring is inching closer and I feel a discernible shift in the air. When I discovered that my doctor's office was closed on Saturday, I decided to head over to Euphoria Spa (Harrison between Greenwich and Hudson) to get a Thai Herbal Poultice Massage. I was hoping that the combination of the hot oil and Thai herbs might present some relief to my sinus/allergy headache, and it did. During the massage, when I found myself momentarily reviewing a few unfinished tasks at work, I realized I was not yet out of the woods. Nonetheless, I achieved some moments of bliss that propelled me into work early Friday morning to tie up some loose ends. As I was finishing up with my private clients Friday evening, I encountered my colleague from the adjacent office. She told me that Saturday was the first day of operation for her new low-cost acupuncture clinic. Since the sinus headache had returned, I scheduled an 11:30 a.m. appointment Saturday morning. I was again seeking relief. Twelve years ago, I had one prior experience with acupuncture during my MSW training. I found it so extremely pleasant that I was taken aback. It was acupuncture in the ears. When I mentioned it on Saturday, my colleague referred to it as "acupuncture Valium." My session with her and an office-mate was more diagnostic. After taking my pulse and analyzing it on many levels, they quietly discussed the placement of several differently numbered needles in my body. By the time they were finished, I had two needles inserted into each of my upper temples, one in my breastbone, one in each of my wrists and two in opposite ankle/shin areas. After inserting the needles - which didn't hurt - they both left the room for a short while. I remained very still and had the sensation of energy moving around my body. As I entered into a half-dozing state, I thought my arms were behind me, even though I knew they were resting on my knees. I figured this symbolized the last year; when I had no choice but to manage the situation. When Big Daughter, and her boyfriend, Young Sir C, met me for a late lunch, she was slightly uncomfortable with the idea of my walking around with two little seeds placed in each ear for stress management. The seeds are placed on a pressure point and I was instructed to push on them for realignment. I liked the idea and I continued to periodically press them. After deciding I was still sane, Big Daughter agreed to lunch at Belcourt, a restaurant I'd noticed a few months ago at the corner of 4th street and 2nd Avenue. Initially, we were the only customers. This seemed fitting since it was my first meal with Big Daughter and Young Sir C. Although it was a sunny day, there was a cool breeze. Over Big Daughter's objections, I asked if the long glass windows, which opened onto the sidewalk, could be closed. Belcourt is designed in a clean, modern-deco style with a row of burnished brown leather banquettes against one wall and free-standing tables scattered throughout. The restaurant is refreshingly anti-climatic in the way it appears comfortable with itself. The prevailing energy is not about showcasing food, or elevating the customers, but maintaining a sense of ease. Big Daughter and Young Sir C both ordered the same thing; a cheddar cheese omelet with toast on the side. When the waiter arrived, the sight of two exactly identical plates was interesting to me. I opted for a Spinach Salad with Manoush cheese and crackers. The waiter made sure to inform his counterpart that we had snagged the last order of house made sausage. Afterwards we headed over to Sugar Sweet Sunshine (Rivington off Essex) for dessert, as per Big Daughter's request. Young Sir C ordered the chocolate bomb, a pudding-like mixture of chocolate and whipped cream. I wanted a Red Velvet cupcake so I could eat the chocolate frosting and Big Daughter got the Strawberry-Rhubarb crumble and a Vanilla cupcake with pink frosting. The next day, Big Daughter, Young Sir C,and I went with our dear friend Miss A. to the Chanterelle Sunday Salon on Artisinal American Cheeses and Wines. On the table, there was a bowl of homemade Kumquat jam to accompany one of the cheese courses. As we waited for the Salon to begin, we nibbled on pieces of bread spread with Kumquat preserves. I was tickled when Young Sir C remembered that we'd had Kumquat Preserves at Belcourt during our lunch on Saturday. During my bout with sinusitis/allergies, I had lost my appetite for several days. The presence of homemade Kumquat preserves on the tables of Belcourt and Chanterelle seemed fitting and left with me with a sweet taste in my mouth.

1 comment:

Maria L. Favata said...

Rajani,

I love your postings and reading about your various eating adventures in New York.

Maria