Thursday, December 13, 2007

Hot Chocolate Galore

Hot chocolate is something that I adore, but only if it’s thick and creamy. Before ordering, I usually check to see if the hot chocolate listed on the menu is “milky” or “thick and creamy.” Almost everyone I ask is very amenable and honest — tells me if it’s milky (which I don't like). These are my favorite places for hot chocolate —in no particular order, except as I remember them:

Counter – 1st Avenue/corner of 7th Street –E. Village They offer a large cup or a shot of their hot chocolate. I opt for the shot at the bar as a recharge. I used to stop in at 5 p.m. (just when they're opening up for the evening) as was en route to my evening job on Wednesdays and Fridays.

Jacque Torres Chocolate – King Street at Hudson - Featuring several types of hot chocolate: Classic, Wicked and even a iced version of all of the previously mentioned and one with peanut butter). I always get the Wicked, which is spicy and bracing especially when I’m really sick with bronchitis. I prefer the hot chocolate to antibiotics. Jacque Torres is a nice space; there is always a comforting chocolate aroma wafting around. Inevitably, they are making chocolate in the preferred figures of whatever holiday is coming up; right now you can see the machines rotating large chocolate Santas round and around as you walk by on King Street. Every time I visit (no kidding) the master himself seems to be the subject of yet another television interview. I totally understand why. It's a cool space and it's fun to go in and buy chocolate covered cheerios and a Wicked hot chocolate and then keep heading uptown to my next stop.

I heard he opened a really fancy new space on the Upper West Side - sounds almost Viennese in style. At King Street, there are a million and one ways to buy his chocolate. You won't want to miss the displays of chocolate-covered cheerios, huge chocolate bars, plus a long bar where you can customize varied sized-boxes of truffles: earl grey, passion fruit, coconut, lemon... (and they are very yummy).

Otto – 8th Street/right of 5th Avenue - Thick, hazelnut flavored hot chocolate that is literally a dessert. I should mention that when I order any of these hot chocolates, I treat it as a meal in itself)

MarieBelle – Broome Street off W. Broadway in Soho – In the back of the store you'll find a charming little cacao bar; they have different sizes of spicy and regular hot chocolate (as well as an assortment of sweets/teas). I especially like the little shot of spicy hot chocolate and find it just perfect if I'm going in to meet my Friday night clients.

Chocolat Michel Cluizel - Located at the café in the back of the store, they offer (along with a newer menu of chocolate cocktails), a whole pot of hot chocolate and little shots too. Somehow I start to think I’m levitating after sharing the pot with someone because I drink too much of it. I usually stick to the shot of hot chocolate, which comes in a very nice little tea cup. I recently shared a tasting of the fabulous new chocolate dessert menu created by Will Goldfarb with my friend Emily; it was all about pushing the palate/envelope in a very good way. The chocolate soup not only sounded fun, it tasted fun with bubbles and a wash of dark chocolate espresso at the bottom. There was some confusion about the caviar with the white chocolate gelato with olive oil and smoked sea salt so we ended up with a free chocolate bar, which I promptly handed to Emily as an early stocking stuffer.

Podunk – E. 5th between 2nd Avenue and Bowery – Elspeth (the proprietor) and her family make this place the best tea house on the planet. I don’t say that lightly because I make it my mission to check out tea places not just in NYC but upstate too (and I've found some good places - Verdigris in Hudson, New York is really special.) But back to Elspeth. She warns her customers that her hot chocolate is best shared; and it's served in the most beautiful little teapots. After drinking it, I start thinking I've just turned into Alice in Wonderland at the Madhatter's tea party. I shouldn't say it but I've finished my little pot of chocolate ALL BY MYSELF a few times. I'm usually at Elspeth's a few times a week. For me, stepping into Podunk is about finding sanity in scones and tea sandwiches.

La Colombe Torrefaction - Church at Lispenard Street.
This is the only place I drink hot chocolate that is more milky than creamy. The incredibly personable barista-man told me the chocolate pedigree (I think he said Ivory Coast?) when I asked about the hot chocolate on my first visit. I've been here many times since (usually Monday mornings, when I don't take Little one to school as I get to walk by here en route to the J train at Canal). These guys make a seriously flavorful hot chocolate, which to my amateur palate has a lot of depth in the flavor. Mr. barista does not add sugar (unless requested to) and then he does it perfectly. This morning he noticed my Buddakan bag (big daughter is a hostess there). We bonded over our love of Buddakan. Of course, I had to share how our family was treated like royalty when we ate there recently, but that's another story). What is noteworthy is that Mr. Barista told me that restaurateur (Stephen Starr - he owns Buddakan and Morimoto) uses coffee from La Colombe Torrefaction. I am not surprised because Carl, who is an extremely discerning coffee drinker, says that the coffee here is "amazing."

Kiva - (Reade Street/between Hudson and Greenwich Streets)
Thank God for Kiva, a wonderful coffee/tea spot in Tribeca for the "real" people who live downtown. Beebe, the owner, an impossibly beautiful woman - seriously; both in personality and in looks - makes a really nice hot chocolate. She didn't flinch one morning when I asked if she could put less milk in to "make it thicker." Kiva also serves breakfast, lunch and dinner (pizza, sandwiches, soup and wine by the glass).

Right now, they have some wonderful christmas presents like the custom-made gift baskets of which we bought several last year for gifts! Kiva was our salvation one evening after .ittle one had a serious meltdown right at school pick-up. After non-stop crying from school to the M22 bus and on down the sidewalk (so much so that some guy yelled "stop crying" and then smiled), Kiva was our salvation. In her teary state, little one yelled "and you didn't wave at the Kiva lady," and in we went for some sprite, candy canes, chocolate chip cookies - and a little christmas shopping - along with conversation about Kiva's hot chocolate. We exited 45 minutes later feeling good will towards each other and the world. Kiva will do that to you every time - especially if you're lucky enough to visit when Beebe's there!

No comments: